Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 9

Nollwood for Jonathan or Nollywood enticed by Bribery??



When I saw this video, it just made me laugh. I mean it's sad that their political views have probably been bought, but there are some things you can't help but laugh at. I think I was laughing partly at them and partly at the fact that GEJ believes that using nollywood is enough to help him gain the support of the youth. I can tell from the ratio of "likes" to "dislikes" of this video that most people that have seen this video, probably share a perspective on it that is similar to mine. It's interesting how GEJ underestimates our intelligence. He opted out of the "What About Us" presidential debate that was organized by the Nigerian youth and co-ordinated by the internationally acclaimed Nigerian author, Chimamanda Adichie, a person who most nigerians believe is both adequately aware of and concerned about the political situation in Nigeria and its effect on all aspects of the country. Note that this isn't the first presidential debate he's opting out off. He has not participated in any! (at least that I know of) Then he schedules a personal interview with "D'Banj" on questions regarding the Nigerian youth? No offense to D'Banj, but he hasn't previously exhibited much knowledge about or concern for Nigerian Politics. Of course I love D'banj's music, but when it comes to representing the Nigerian youth with regards to political issues, I think most people would choose Chimamanda Adichie over D'Banj any day! If he wanted to have a personal interview with a musician, he should have at least picked someone like Nneka. She has shown great concern for Nigeria and it's political scene and that is evident even in her music.
As for the actors and actresses in this video, I am not so quick to judge them. If they are actually in favor of GEJ, and that is the presidential candidate they wish to vote for, then this is not exactly wrong. They are just showing their support and being paid to do so. However, if they did this purely for the money, disregarding the effect this video might have on the votes of Nigerian citizens and thus possible on the future of the nation and disregarding their own political stands (i.e if they are not GEJ supporters) then I am very disappointed in them especially in Olu Jacobs just because I have always seen him as man of integrity and intelligence. I am not saying I don't anymore, but I am saying if the latter is the reason he is a part of this video, then neither him nor any other actors and actresses in the video deserve my respect. Maybe some of them do just a little. Respect smaller than a grain of uncooked rice - and that's just for their acting skills.

Please watch the video above and tell me what you think. 

3 comments:

  1. Olu Jacobs have lost respect of Nigerians. For the actors and actresses , it just shows their time have past and they are only grabbing onto Glo adverts and Political adverts without intergrity for their money. Very cheap

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with all you have written and I also think that these actors should have had a second thought prior to being a part of this video because it will go a long way in affecting the choices of the people...and what if at the end Jonathan disappoints everyone? It will be a shame to all those who in one way or the other have participated in this video or other major campaigns.I hope he is the right man.

    ReplyDelete