Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 14

No, we're not too afraid - Occupy Nigeria

I wasn't going to blog about this before because I felt everyone already knew whatever I'll have to say. That the "Occupy Nigeria" protesters are not just protesting against the removal of the fuel subsidy but against kleptocracy and all forms of corruption, that the government is more corrupt and has probably embezzled more money than that the so called "corrupt cabals." that the removal of the fuel subsidy would make sense if it was being implemented in some other ountry but not a country where about 1billion naira (about $6million) is designated to feeding to feeding the president and vice president (na golden rice dem dey chop?) and 200million naira is designated to taking care of gardens (as suspect said, 'na the garden of eden?') while about 70% of it's population lives below $1 a day yet the government claims to use the money obtained from the removal of the fuel subsidy for crucial infrastructure. If there are no funds for "crucial infrastructure", it's not simply because of the existence of the fuel subsidy it's because leaders are embezzling money and are not being held accountable. I wasn't going to write all of this until I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAoLBCmB_Ms&feature=share and this girl's bravery inspired me and so even if everyone might already know what I just wrote, I felt the need to write, the need to show solidarity since I can't be on the streets of Kano protesting right now. I remember when I wrote the post "Are we too afraid?"  asking whether it would take revolutionary protests to see change in Nigeria, and if it would, if anyone was ready to protest or if we were all too afraid. I guess a large part of that question has be answered by the Occupy Nigeria protests. I am so incredibly happy and proud that for once Nigerians have united irrespective of their differences and decided to face  their real problem, the government!  Fela once said, "My people sef dey fear too much. We fear for wetin we no see.We fear for the air around us, we fear to fight for freedom. ...we always get reasons to fear: "We no want die,we no want wound,we no want quench,I get one child,mama dey for house..." So police man go slap your face, you no go talk,army man go whip your nyash, you go dey look like monkey.That's why they leave sorrows, tears and blood- their regular trade mark." This is the begining of the end of the era of complacent Nigerians that just accept the cards they are dealt and keep smiling. Maybe Harrison Nwozo was right when he said
"They say Nigerians are the happiest people. Nigerians have to be the unhappiest people for change to come." We don't have to necessarily be the "unhappiest" but there's a fine line between happiness and apathy. This isn't one of those posts where I actually thought about the structure so I'm not even sure how to end this and whether or not there are grammatical errors, in the end you get the message; Nigerians have woken up, we are not afraid, and I am proud!

2 comments: